History of the Sugar Land Garden Club
In the early 1930s, Sugar Land was a company town, owned and operated by the Imperial Sugar Company. Imperial Sugar and Sugar Land Industries were encouraging yard improvement with a program that awarded a $10 prize every month to the best yard in each of six zones. The homes belonged to the company but it was the “company wives” who planted flowers in the yards to show their community spirit.
In the spring of 1932, a number of “company wives” who enjoyed growing flowers, decided to have a flower show. Guests attending the show on May 12 were asked to register their interest in forming a garden club and more than 50 residents did. On May 17, 1932, 39 ladies met and the Sugar Land Garden Club was formed. Mrs. W. T. Eldridge was the first president.
The first program, on the “Culture of Flowers Adapted to Sugar Land” was presented in June and the club began a long tradition of education on a wide variety of gardening topics. In addition to the programs, the club has always had a strong commitment to community service. During the war years members grew Victory Gardens and rolled bandages. The Sugar Land Garden club presented their first flower show in 1934, and donated their first tree in 1937. Through the years the club has grown and changed with the times but the traditions of learning, friendship and community spirit have remained the same. Today Sugar Land Garden Club programs are open to the public, and among other things - we continue to plant trees in the community, we volunteer in the greenhouses at the Brookwood Community, we provide toolkits to new Habitat for Humanity homeowners and our scholarship fund supports students at Stephen F. Austin State University.
There are now nearly 120 members in the Sugar Land Garden Club. People from all walks of life - different ages and backgrounds - and yes, even some men!